Sunday 19 April 2015

Reading:: Me Talk Pretty One Day (David Sedaris)


I'll be honest - I've been pretty crummy at reading lately. I started the year with great gusto, tearing through three books in one month, and have dwindled to taking two months to read this book.

Which - let me clarify, is no reflection of this book. It's a reflection of me needing to unwind in front of bad tv, with tired eyes, instead of read a book, propped up in bed. 

But today I finished it. Lying on the sofa, with the Doctor fast asleep right next to me, I laughed out loud - so funny is this book, it makes you laugh the whole way through.

I don't think that's an easy thing either, to make someone laugh out loud via a book. But David Sedaris never fails. First published in 2000, it's been out for a long time. A really long time, but it's still as relevant, entertaining and hilarious as ever. 

I read David Sedaris' piece regarding his obsession with his FitBit a few months ago - and it spurred me on to read more of his writing. 

If you want an easy read, that's funny, self-deprecating, and totally good value - read this. I am sure it won't disappoint. Particularly the chapters on living in France. Bloody funny. 



Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris $16.95 from Booktopia

* Reading is all about what I'm reading. It's not sponsored. It's simply me, reading a book and sharing with you. A book club of sorts. In 2015 it's my goal to read at least one book per month - and share my lowdown on them with you. Maybe you'd like to read along? If so, let me know and we can virtually have a book club. 

1 comment:

Kirsty Bunfield (kbfield) said...

I echo your recommendation. I saw David Sedaris when he came to Sydney last time. He is a must see. Just so funny.