Monday 6 April 2015

Three Movies for the school holidays: Home, The Book Of Life, Cinderella


A couple of weeks ago we had the happy fortune of taking the smalls to a preview of upcoming DreamWorks release 'Home'. And yet here's a picture of me with the lead character. Awkward. 

With the voice skills of Rihanna, Steve Martin and J-Lo, I really had to check it out for myself.

It was funny. It made me laugh.

"It was great. My favourite bit? All of it." - The Doctor, 9.5 yo
"Yeah, I liked it." - Tiny, 7 yo. 

My outtake? I think it's good for younger kids. Younger than my kids. It's a simple storyline. It's funny. But it's not something I think my kids or I want to see again. 

I give it 2.5/5 stars. 



"The Book of Life" was something I was not that excited to see. But we went anyway - and I am ever so glad we did. 

It is freaking brilliant. 

The graphics are enchanting - old-school meets new-school. The story is wonderful. The whole she-bang is ace. And hello people - Channing Tatum's voice is in it. HELLO! 

It's complicated, dark, sad, happy, scary, bright, funny, belly-bouncing funny, I can't say enough good stuff about it. Plus you go for a tour through Mexican history. It's colourful and wacky, and I know you are going to love this as much as I do. 

And it's got Ice Cube. And Biz Markie. And all the goods. Honestly. I am going to buy this movie when it comes out. SO SO GREAT!

How many stars? Give it ALL THE STARS! 




So Matt and I got to go on a date to see 'Cinderella' at the State Theatre. It was pretty darn special. 

Introduced by Cate Blanchett herself, the film was every inch eye candy, staying true to the traditional storyline, and with Blanchett playing a hideously wonderful wicked stepmother. 

Directed by Kenneth Branagh, it's every inch theatrical as you'd expect - and Helena Bonham Carter is delightful as the Fairy Godmother.

I'd recommend this for older kids (6+) because the littlies in the cinema were restless people. And they were kicking the back of my chair. I know this because they were kicking my chair. 

How many stars? 4.5 out of 5. 



Have you seen any of these films? Did you love them or loathe them?

1 comment:

Lea, rhymes with h&b said...

We saw Spongebob :/
I love Spongebob, but the movie was mm. After last holiday's most excellent offerings ( Paddington, Paper Planes ) .. I was underwhelmed these holidays around. I havent seen Book of Life, but the kids did. I didnt hear much about it, so I assume not-their-scene...