Tuesday 19 May 2015

10 Tomorrow



This time ten years ago I had eaten spaghetti bolognaise after having walked to our local supermarket (over 2kms away) having to stop every few metres due to contractions. 

I had bought the ingredients to make my antenatal teacher's special Labour Aid recipe, hired Sex and the City, snickered when the video shop guy said, see you in two days (thinking - no dude, you won't, I am in labour), and walked home. Gently. Ever so gently. Resting as I went on low fences, breathing. 

I remember Matt returning from work and me wrapping my arms around his neck, feeling comforted he was home, and I was not alone to ride the waves of contractions. 

That day I'd been shopping with my sister, Sarah. I'd bought new bed sheets. 

We were on a crazy tight budget, Matt and I, and buying one new fitted sheet that was on sale had felt like the biggest extravagance. But it did take my mind from those lower back twinges. 

Ten years ago today I went to bed, and in the early hours of the morning - I went in to labour. 

I could barely wait to greet my beloved firstborn.


3 comments:

Pip Lincolne said...

Aw. This gave me goosebumps. It's the most special thing, that first baby... entering the unknown. Happy Birthday to your beautiful boy. Happy Birthday to you, mama! xx

Steph Bond-Hutkin said...

Beautifully written Lexi - how lovely. Happiest of birthdays to your big boy and how fabulous that you've been a mother for 10 years. Congrats to both of you! x

Diana @The Third Row said...

That photo is just gorgeous. This post makes me want to cuddle my boy who's rugged up in the cot. xx