Tuesday 12 May 2015

A Royal Night Out:: Review



I was lucky enough to enjoy a sneak preview of A Royal Night Out last week. I was really, really excited, I'd watched the trailer and it looked right up my alley.

And it was right up my alley. And my street. My boulevard. My avenue. It was right up there.

Based on the true story of Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret being allowed to go out into public on 8th May 1945, VE Day, it's embellished, to great effect. 

Imagine this, six years of horrific war, food rations, bombing, general gloom and doom. And the two princesses concoct a fantastical ruse to convince their father (King George VI, played by Rupert Everett) to allow them out to hear how the public responds to his victory speech. 




It works and they are allowed out, incognito - to dance at the Ritz with a strict curfew to be home by 1am. 

Princess Margaret (played by Bel Powley), quipped with all the best lines, is wide-eyed and hilarious; Princess Elizabeth (Sarah Gadon) is considered, incredibly beautiful and navigating her world as an ordinary young woman in the midst of huge on-street celebrations. 

They jump from the Ritz, to 

It's fun. Innocent fun. It's such a fun movie, nostalgic and lovely I came out positively buzzing darlings! It's feel good, fanciful film that was so right for me to escape into.  


My rating? See it! It's light-hearted, whimsical, and an adventure on another scale. Plus it's funny! 

I give it three and a half stars. 

A Royal Night Out - in cinemas from May 14.

No comments: