Thursday 3 March 2016

Reading:: Eugenia - Mark Tedeschi QC


If you're looking for an uplifting read - this is not the book for you.

My long time readers will know that I have a fascination with the Sydney's history of crime from the early 1800s - 1950s. 

A friend recommended I read this. And I did. It was heavy, my goodness, it was bleak. 

But am I glad I read it? Yes. Of course. I got to put myself in someone else's shoes, and learn about the hardships of life in the late 1800s through to 1931. It was tough if you didn't have the support of your family. 

Without giving to much away - Eugenia is born into an Italian family, moves to NZ, and at a young age realises she identifies as a male. It's a book of heartbreak and hardship, lack of understanding and compassion, and gritty real-life sadness. 

While the first half of the book was loaded with interest for me, I did struggle when it came to the trial of Eugenia. I skipped parts because it was just too dense for me. 

I'd definitely recommend it though, it's a fascinating story, delicately written with meticulous attention to detail. 

PS - I joined a book club! 

No comments: